Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Feliz Dia De la Madre...Mexico.

It is Mother's Day in Mexico...always May 10th.
In a way, it's just easier to remember, & I like that some holidays have their day, like birthdays.
So, in honor of my mother, here's a recent photo from Easter.
My sister had a large dinner gathering, & my mother-in-law suggested a 4 generation photo...my side,
so, it was me, my younger son (Nat, the painter), his daughters Violet & EvieA, & my mamcita, Pat

All, I'm proud to say, have been to Isla.  My mom is now 88 1/2; and while she didn't make it to Isla this year, she's been there twice before...in her mid 80's. I give her credit. She's done a lot. 
 And just below, left, is my mother-in-law, Dolly. We vow to get her to Isla soon...


Dolly is quite the character, as most would agree--still a real farm woman who mows her own large acreage yard (in her mid 80s) & even can sometimes fix her own mower as well. As Garrison Keillor would say, she comes from the Midwest, where ' all the women are strong, all the men are good lookin' and all the children are above average.'     I think that about sums it up!   

My other son, Abe, put a link on his facebook page to this poem, a Mother's Day tribute. 
It is from Billy Collins, entitled, 'The Lanyard'


via Abe Sauer 

4 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Gorgeous photos of all of you! We spent Mother's Day in Kansas City with my mom. We were on Isla several years ago and DIF had a huge luncheon at Playa Lancheros for all the Isla mothers.

krisla said...

Thought they were ok too, which is why I decided they could go public...(You know how it is w/photos...hard to get a good one!)
So nice of DIF...think it's a great organization. Kansas city-also so Midwest. Our mothers-our touchstones:)

Tamara said...

Great photos Kris!

Can't wait until you get Dolly to Mexico.

krisla said...

That will be our goal for next year...getting Dolly there! She does have her passport, & if enough grandkids go, she WILL go as well ;)