Saturday, October 22, 2011

Cenote X Can Che

Last time I went to Ek Balaam 2 yrs ago with my aunt & sister, we took a taxi out from Valladolid--very doable.  But, we felt pressed for time, and didn't take in the surrounding sights; this time, with a car, we were able to take our time & see more sights.
One thing I especially enjoyed was taking swim in the nearby cenote...I had it all to myself...  :)
(Actually, if you search you tube, you can find a video...it's under  X ' Canche.
So, perhaps that's the correct spelling; altho, I'm sure our guide had a t-shirt on with the other spelling.
When you're floating around, it's funny but you can feel the temp of the water change depending on whether it's a sunny spot (warm) or cloudy spot (cool).
The canopy of tree tops viewed from below, and the long, spidery tree roots cascading down into the water makes for an other-wordly swim.





The line strung across the middle is just for anyone who may want a handhold. The guide (a native Mayan) also had lifevests available. I told him I had been a lifeguard, and a swimming teacher in a previous life (my younger days, which now feels like a previous life) so I would be fine.














I would recommend that if you ever get a chance to swim in a cenote, don't pass it up.  I now have several others on my list that I'd like to investigate.  Other advice--go early, beat the crowds...

2 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

We were at that same cenote outside Valladolid in 2002, and I'm ashamed to admit, it was so dang cold we didn't get in! And that was in May! I've gotten to be a real baby about cold water because our pool here in Phoenix is like a giant warm bathtub in the summer.

krisla said...

wow...really? This one is not the big one outside Valladolid...I want to go there & think it's more blue & larger. X Can Che was off the beaten track, near Ek Balaam. But if you were there, you should've gone in. I bet it would be cool in May, being somewhat shaded. But like the Caribbean, this was nice in late Sept.