Monday, March 21, 2011

Feliz Cumpeaños, Benito Juarez

And today, March 21, is the birthday of the 'George Washington' of Mexico, Benito Juarez.
Though not the first, he is the most revered president of Mexico...a street here is named for him, probably as in every Mexican town. 

As we came downtown, we came upon a ceremony in his honor, with a wreath being placed by some dignitaries, and traffic being stopped (this is right behind the Navy base.)
So, this comemorative statue/bust of him  is on the road leading to El Centro, the downtown, Juarez Avenue.  And especially now, with some roads being repaired, one must always enter the downtown on one-ways, and the main entry (from our end, the South) goes right past Benito Juarez. So, today, being his birthday, was a 'no school' day, and therefore, I was heading downtown with Sofi, deciding to go to the beach and wear off some energy.

  They told me last Friday, when I picked up Sofia, that there would be no school today. I wasn't sure why, but figured there must be a good reason.  And now, today, I have discovered it.
It is amazing how much I am following in the pattern of a typical 'ESL parent' (now, grandparent) which I've had so much experience with from my teaching days: the parent who barely follows a school schedule, needs many visuals to figure out what's going on, (hey...I sat through a group conference last week, and let me tell you, I was struggling, and every little thing they held up as an example, really helped me understand....)
Little by little, one pieces it together...meaning comes together... but it's not easy.
But, when you finally figure it out... it feels good!
           

A day at the beach.....always good!  

No comments: