Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Whale Shaks & Lobsters....

So, have had a super busy couple of weeks on Isla, and am back already! whew.
Took care of new FM3 immig. application (which will require my return in 60 days for the permanent one), hosted & toured my sister-in-law from Fort Worth (surprising Texas connections on the island...),
Oversaw some work on new wall builing, had a 'Road Trip' to Merida for 3 days, coming home with a back end full of handmade furniture from a Carpinteria shop in Temozon, out past Valladolid.

Oh yeah, and we did the whale shark thing too, which almost seems like an afterthought now....!
My second time to swim with the whale sharks. Sall's first time.  She found how difficult it was, especially with a knee replacement!  Still, great effort...and a day spent in an unforgettable venture...
It was a long day out on the water, in the wind and in the sun.  
 Thought I could work out a foto with underwater camera, but no way.
I was lucky to just be able to swim alongside.  The best pics, and in most cases, the best views, of the whale sharks are from in the boat, where one can take in their whole long bodies from a higher perspective that allows you to actually take in the whole specimen in one glance...!
Hopefully, I may someday be able to swim alongside & manage an underwater camera....
But, another unlikely event was meeting up with these guys on the way back.  Guess they were out diving for lobster, and what a boatload they had...   yum...yum...

Some money, and some lobsters did exchange hands.  I won't say who on our boat was the paying party....

 I wish I had been prepared with more pesos aboard to take advantage of this opportunity....
doubt if it happens too often,
or, maybe it does?
I'll be ready next time....




We had Capt & diver and 10 passengers...a mixed crew, representing several countries...perhaps a typical mix...

We did though have fresh ceviche, made on board, on our return trip.
As a ceviche lover, I appreciated that.
Have some pics of that somewhere...
maybe next post...

The lobsters are a little more impressive looking than the ceviche, which was delicious & fresh.










Below is our boat...you wouldn't think it could hold 12 people, passengers & crew, and fly out across the ocean, bow flopping up above the sea as we motored out to the whale shark area.
But though I think it all went like clockwork, it was anything but routine for us.

I don't particularly like coming to Isla in the summer heat & humidity, but being on and in the water is lovely.  


2 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

The water is the best part of an Isla summer trip. Staying in it is the solution! I'm impressed with how much you accomplished on your trip!

krisla said...

Yes to the water...always love it--it's always what I look forward to seeing, & esp in summer, being in.
A very productive trip--and always more to do... I love mixing business with pleasure :) -k