Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Wanderer's Rest

This is a photo I wanted to use, since last year!, when I went around photographing old interesting places around the countryside.  It was around Memorial Day, as we were doing our 'cemetery rounds'
and this isn't a cemetery where we have anyone, but it's nearby (between Fall River, WI and Randolph, WI...where there are many 'Hollanders' and so perhaps I 'll spend more time looking at headstones there, as they could be very historic and interesting. In my local cemetery, we have many Civil War heroes from the famous Iron Brigade. 
Decorating graves, and going to cemeteries  is still done around here, as Memorial Day still takes on its former existence as 'Decoration Day' when remaining family members go around and put flowers on all their ancestors' graves....(and believe me, I have a mother-in-law who still participates strongly in this tradition...
   The thing is....I have felt like a 'WANDERER' this past year....wandering to Isla and back, wandering to Spain & Morocoo (but not enough, really, only just touching the surface of what I needed to explore & revisit) and wandering around my own farm... but wandering so much, that I'm not really accomplishing anything.  Lately, I've been doing substitute teaching for 5 weeks, in a place I used to work, which involves an hour commute each way.  Again... I'm wandering...not accomplishing...
okay...maybe not so much 'wandering' as earning $ to sustain my 'wandering' habit.  ha ha.

  Much of our lives is about wandering...yes.   Maybe too much.
On the other hand...why not?  As my sister says, pretty soon it will all be over with.
She says that sometimes to get through the difficult times.
But, it's good to remember...we're all here only temporarily.  Maybe we'll be back though, who knows?
We've probably all lost someone important this past year.    We have... our mom...
Memorial Day is about that....and about veterans...and about those of us, still wandering & memorializing those gone before us...

Sometimes, 'wandering' is good....it brought us to Isla.    Good.
And if it takes me to more fun and out of the way places in the future...also good.
I love the word, 'wanderlust' also.   Guess that fits.

And, maybe one has to 'wander' to find nuggets of value...
And someday, we'll end up deserving our 'Wanderer's Rest'  like the souls interred in the ground in this photo. 

No comments: