Tuesday, February 8, 2011

8 weeks & things happen...like Super Bowl!

Not sure how to say 'Super Bowl' en español...but when we came here about 8 weeks ago, not sure that seeing the Packers in the Super Bowl was 'on the docket' (as my mom says...)...

Sun. night we decided to go to watch the Packers in a public place, and feel the mood & the energy.
Fun to be around enthusiastic fans at Sancochos Grill ..most being Packer backers....

sorry   not the best photo...  maybe a blurry night

anyway, with most of the patrons having signed up on a chart, or picked numbers, or whatever they do, (& Señor Ruinas (aka steve) did participate in this)
there were some fun drawings every quarter, depending on the 2 numbers you had drawn, and how they matched up with the score of the game.

Anyway, luckily Sr. Ruinas was lucky enough to win in the 3rd quarter, and was a recipient of a really cool soccer shirt, gracias a Corona, a company which must contribute to things like this, since many of the prizes did have a 'Corona' logo.

And here is the soccer shirt, now hanging in our closet.

Notice Señor Ruinas with his Packers cap.
Luckily he had it along on this trip, probably not knowing at the time how it would come in so handy for this event.


As for myself, I was happy to have a little 'shopping' diversion, during the  long game, which I rarely sit through, for all 4 quarters. But oh well, this was special.  But this lovely Mayan seller of handmade jewelery happened to be passing by our table. I usually wave them on, whether on the street
or at the beach, but, being such a sitting duck, I was a good customer this time.  I decided to buy this awesome necklace, which really appealed to me, for only 30 pesos. It is a cross-section of a shell, with a greenish tinge, on a natural cord string--very organic and natural.   I love it!  (a good quarter for me!)




At the end, with all the hoopla of the Packers win,
Señor Ruinas went over the top and donated his Packers cap to the owner, to display behind the bar, where several others are perched. Hopefully, this one will get some recognition from customers who patronize this place.







As we left El Centro on our golf cart, we passed this very noisy and happy party happening outside on the street, outside someone's house.
I doubt if they were Packer fans, but I think they were having more fun than I was....
I was wishing I was part of their party,
The Latin music was loud and good, and I was almost thinking I could put my dance class steps to good use!  They were loving that we wanted to take their picture, and posed willingly.  :)
Lots of happiness all around.

Entonces,  Bravo a los emPackadores!

2 comments:

Tamara said...

I love it! Senor Ruinas. That's funny. He donated his hat! What a great idea.

kris said...

yes, well, trying again to comment on your comment. arrggghhhh