Saturday, February 12, 2011

Just back from Merida

As Sr. Ruinas has been gone the past week to the states to gather tax work to do here, plus, I have taken advantage of his absence to do several things.
First, spent several days painting the downstairs to get ready for company, one friend to be arriving tomorrow for a 2 wk stay.  Luckily, his flight will coincide nicely con mi esposo who is also bringing our little granddaughter (nieta) for an extended visit.

So, I have used my time well....got a lot of painting done downstairs. Nothing like company coming to visit to get motivated to do some work, which could have been done weeks ago.  The same thing happens at home, so I'm used to that--procrastination, followed by frenzied all-nighters of work to catch up.
But it does force one to make decisions, like what color to paint something. maybe that's the problem...

And then, my reward was a little side trip to Merida. I've been waiting to do this since December.
And it will be my last indulgence before all my time is taken up as caretaker for mi nieta, Sofia... which I'm looking forward to as we will no doubt have a lot of fun experiences together here.

Seemed like a good thing to do upon arrival was to take the double decker bus tour; I've done it before, but I love to see the varied architecture of the city; besides, I had a headache and needed air.
Maybe I'm used to so much fresh air on Isla that the traffic smog in this crowded city was already getting to me.  (can you see, the ad on the bus window says 'Isla Mujeres' in large letters...!)  sorry for the less than clear photos....Sr Ruinas is more of a perfectionist than I about focusing in better.

This was my 3rd visit... 1st was after Hurricane Emily, when our hotel suggested we leave the island (finding out later it was not necessary after all).  But, it did acquaint us with Merida...a welcome side trip.
2nd trip I did on my own last year, learning my way around better and doing some shopping.  And this trip I used to scope out hotels for future visits with company, considering some upgrades from my current cheapies.  (Am guessing company will prefer toilets that flush, AC that works, etc.) I paid more for my bus ticket to Merida (luxury bus) than for my hotel room; that is okay with me.


Still I had a great location across from Santa Lucia Park to see the Thurs. eve 'Serenata' my fave.
But darn, the rain forced them to cancel out after just getting started.   The rainy weather next day also kept me from doing as much as I'd planned, so I just took the tour buses to get to know the city better. Met a woman on the bus from New Hampshire who was here  'house hunting'
 as there are many retirees from US & Canada choosing Merida for all it has to offer. I was also going to check out a casa here, for other reasons, having to do with trading vac. time, Merida for Isla.
Although the Merida people already used our Isla rental, I have yet to receive my 'Merida' time at their house & though I thought it would happen this trip--it didn't.   long story &  good lesson learned, I guess.   Be wary of tricksters.  Don't think we'll be participating in any more 'trades' in future.


 So, the musicians are above, and they have had outdoor free concerts at this park for 145 years, if I'm not mistaken.  I love this music, and seems some of the musicians are Cuban.
Also, they often have dance groups, and these young Yucatecan dancers are doing the 'jarona' I think--kind of a folk dance, with story to tell.

They also have great poetry readings here.

Light rain started and they had to cancel, so their instruments wouldn't get wet.  Ay caramba :(

The city is so beautiful with its parks and European inspired buildings.  Just learning about the influences is fun--Spanish, Moorish, French, Italian....  I hope to get inside more of them.
Sad to say, the earliest structures were built centuries ago with Mayan slave labor, as depicted in this, the oldest building and house of the founder of the city,  Casa de Montejo. (looking closely, you can see the Spaniard soldiers with their feet on Mayan heads.  I think this is the oldest colonial building in the Yucatan, dating from the 1500s.  (Remember, I'm listening to the Spanish speaking tour guide, so I'll check my facts later.
sorry if I have a few errors in reporting....)
Hard to take it all in, & this is my 3rd time...  but, as each trip has been a year, or years apart, there is a lot of relearning involved.

Also, there are awesome murals in the government building, which depict the history of the area, the enslavement of the Mayan people in the production of hennequin (used for rope making) by the Spanish colonial ruling class at the time....    well, it can be depressing to see...
but part of the complicated and interesting history of this place.

I skipped them this time as they can be overwhelming.
The art & music & culture this city offers is incredible.
Back to something I enjoy talking about --horsesI love these horse carts which are always lined up downtown.
And lots of good food.  Lots of Yucatecan specialties. 
This one is called 'Los tres mosqueteros yucatecos.'  You can probably guess the meaning.
There is a lot on the to-do list for next time, starting with the Folk Art Museum.
Shopping is great....and I barely had time for the main market. 
Succeeded in getting some broken glasses fixed and  new ones ordered. I have read that the health care facilities here are great. My glasses were easily worth the trip here. 
Such a beautiful city.  A nice complement to Isla.  
I'll be happy to return again, with company. 
For now, I'm happy to return to the gorgeous turquoise water & fresh air of Isla.






No comments: