Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy Ground Hog's Day




Being still so 'teacher minded' I know this is such a 'theme' day where teachers work all kinds of relevant material (ground hogs, prairie dogs, hibernation, weather, seasons, etc...) into the day to make it a learning experience for kids. I miss the thematic stuff, yes... and the kids!

As far as I know, this isn't a day celebrated here. If it were, guess the gound hog (Jimmy, or Phil...) would have seen their shadows on this mostly sunny 80ish degree day. In fact, think it was at least 82 or 83F.
But for anyone NOB (north of border) I hope he didn't so spring will come faster...(that was always hard, remembering weather sunny or cloudy meant earlier spring... hope I got it right :)
Anyway, nice to see gorgeous hibuscus blooms like this, and know they are around the corner...



not a ground hog, but a puppy! named Bono.
Somebody better stop me before I adopt him.
I might still foster him though. He is just adorable.
Billie, my neighbor from upstate NY, and I, went to check out the many dogs/puppies kept by Alison, a woman who gives her time and home to take care of so many animals (check her website, www.islaanimals.org) to see them. She has devoted many years to this project. Last year I helped at a vet clinic during a sterilization week.
But, it's more fun to actually play or help 'socialize' the puppies. She currently has 46 at her place.


These are Bono's litter mates. They were found by Alison & her group in the jungle she said, or in the interior.  There's still a lot of education to do in the care of unwanted animals, on every level.
These guys were really scared & shaking since they hadn't had much human contact. Billie (who is giving much more effort to this project than I) went a bought a giant bag of hot dogs at the mercado to entice them to come out and play.





This is Sonny & Cher, and Bruce (the black one).
Imagine--another dog named Bruce!












This is Billie with Bono.
Billie is a retired 3rd grade teacher
from upstate NY.  Her husband returned to the US a few days ago, and she felt like doing some volunteer work. After working with kids her whole career, she said she would prefer something different. I do understand that  :)





 and back to me with Bono.
You can tell he is our favorito.

maybe I should call my blog, 'the Dog Blog'
sorry if you're seeing too many dogs.
Guess I'm just missing my dogs from home, so hope Jacques, Frida & Brucito are all doing well at the farm, but I'll bet they're loving the snow.

Gracias to Abe & anyone else who is taking care of them & giving them attention in my absence.

No comments: