Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Island horses

As I am still mentally reliving my trail ride of a week ago, it reminds me of horses I have seen on the island.  















This one I've seen more than once, on separate occasions, grazing between water plant & cemetery in outside La Gloria. I must remember to bring more snacks...

This struck me as so nice, as perhaps the owner or caretaker of this healthy looking horse was giving a ride to a kid on the crossroad to La Gloria, rounding the corner, & walking right outside the cemetery wall.  This is a great size horse, suitable for adult or child.  I'll bet this boy was in heaven... 
I sometimes wonder how the horses got over to the island, but assume they must have been in a trailer, & come across on the car ferry... Then, I wonder how they liked that.







This is probably the horse from the first photo, but I wish I had video, (or at least, more clear photo) as the rider galloped several times along the small path in front of the sea, back and forth. I was fairly shocked to see him riding so close to the edge at such a fast clip. Obviously, he had good control and the horse was well trained.
How thrilling & what a sight to see from my deck at Casa Colibri'.

I've heard that the small path that goes down to the sea (a continuation of the gravely, cross-island road here, not far from Punta Sur) is on a strip of land that may be for sale!!! (Apparently, it would be combined with one of the lots on either side as it is too narrow by itself for any other purpose.)

Anyway, that would be a shame, as many dog walkers, and nature lovers use this path.
I think there should be a petition or something to maintain the path as a walkway for public access.

2 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

We love to walk that path, so I'd hate to see access go away. I've heard about the horse, and now I know it wasn't a tall tale!

krisla said...

So many, many people use that path--locals & tourists.
Hope I can see that horse fly by again sometime! -k