Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans' Day & Isla Naval Base

Was waiting for an appropriate time to post some pics I took of the Navy Base, 'Quinta Region Naval' on Isla Mujeres (Armada--5th Region).  These were taken when I was there just after Ind. Day in mid Sept, and they left the colors up for some time after that.
There's a lot to like about the island, but the fact there is an actual Mexican naval base here, is certainly a plus--not only for the extra protection they provide, but it feels like being among family.
 and here it is lit up at night, again shortly after the Mexican Independence Day, in mid September.
I love to see their ships out patrolling either in the bay, (this taken as I was on Playa Sol, so not far from there) or out in the open ocean.
Or, even just offshore from the base, where you can often catch sailors (marineros) going on a training mission (the naval school is a part of the base--I think they provide officer training, though not entirely sure.)
One can shop in the Navy store, pass by the Navy housing area, and in general, see a Navy presence around the island.  It is very reassuring.




My mother (a couple years ago) thought she could use her Navy Annex card to get her usual discount at the Navy store. I had to explain that this was the Mexican Navy, not the American Navy.  We still like to kid her about it.
My father retired as a Commander (though in the Navy Reserve, at the time)...he did active duty in WW2 and was stationed on Guam. My husband  & brother were both in the Navy (both on ships) & in Vietnam, Japan...+ other places; father-in-law, Marines (Iwo Jima). In general, though not raised on bases, I'm comfortable around them, and seeing uniformed Navy personnel....that's why--it feels good here.
I especially like that Isla is the easternmost point of Mexico--there is a job to do here! Lots of lookout!





















Passing by the Naval area, after arrival on the island, feels welcoming. I remember being newly married and living in Morocco and working on the Navy Base in Kenitra...I worked the cafeteria with Mohammed and Abdullah. Different times (wish I'd learned more Arabic than the few words I did--concentrating on French instead...). Señor spent his days off on his 'secret, classified' station doing 'moon research' across from the Russians, who were managing a logging station (or was it olive production?) Those were the 'cover' stories...different times, huh?  The antennas at each were a bit of a giveaway.  Later, in Maine, another Navy base, and we lived in Winter Harbor.  So...from Morocco & Maine, to Isla... fun comparison.  Cultural contrasts for sure...Good memories...
Happy Veterans' Day!

6 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Great photos Kris! My dad was also a Navy man, but just during WWII stationed at Pearl.

krisla said...

I always wondered about a certain photo on sidebar of your blog...it almost seems like a Navy guy having fun (but maybe not..). Go Navy!

went coastal said...

The newspaper said they are gonna stop celebrating Dia de los Marinos/Navy Day (june 1) in Isla Mujeres and have a small ceremony in Cancun instead. Aw! It did not say why.

krisla said...

Hi wentcoastal...thanks for the update...what sad news. While I've never seen it myself, I've heard they have a very touching ceremony and so many locals participated, esp. with kids. :( k

Silvia John said...

The Navy has a full set of service units (air, ground, and sea)and they have active navy bases also.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment, Silvia; I have not been blogging lately, but this still came to my yahoo account, so I could read your comment; I really appreciate it; after reading it again, after so long, I find it as meaningful as ever; in fact, just a day or two ago I had read where an off-duty Navy serviceman aided a drowning man off the half moon beach, where he should not have been swimming. Again, I love the presence of the Navy here, and it is a reason to still love Isla, as I sometimes get discouraged with the changes, but the permanence of the Navy personnel, the ships and all their units is a wonderful feature of I.M. I will check on your link to the active navy bases; thanks so very much! -kris