Sunday, December 9, 2012

Hanukkah, Snow, Xmas...& all that...

'Tis the season...
I guess listening to 'A Prairie Home Companion' with Garrison Keillor is kind of getting me 'in the mood' for these things.  And turns out the broadcast of Dec 8, 2012 is/was Hanukkah...and he was live at the Town Hall in NYC...so, there were a lot of references to things we just saw recently saw and did there, which keeps the city alive for me...

     ( note...upon revisiting, & checking these links, they don't seem to open exactly to the piece indicated. Although, I'm working w/a slow computer, & maybe it's just me...but, ? a note of caution...)
 
shopping at Zabar's, taxis, subway, Brooklyn...     listen to:      I Walk Everywhere
I Walk Everywhere - Pat Donohue and Shoe Band

 and  then, this is really fun, timely, and just hits me right now, with some things we're dealing with...
    Hanukah in Santa Monica
      The whole PHC broadcast this week is fresh and fun, so if you can get it & listen, you will be rewarded.  There are more fun songs, skits and stories in his best tradition, with a modern twist.

      here's a cute Xmas tree skit    Trees


      in fact, you should listen to the whole darned show...darned good this week. I think he saves his good material for when he's in NYC   ;-)     the Minnesota and prairie stuff does get rehashed a lot....
                  http://prairiehome.publicradio.org


      and the fact it was Hanukkah...well, let me just say that while not Jewish, lately I'm having several connections there...I'm getting a membership at the Jewish Cmmty  Center, which has a nice ozone-filtered pool, for one son's family (who could pass for looking Jewish...and have names to go with it; the other son has told me most took him to be Jewish by his name...in fact, thinking we fled Germany with such a name... who would have thought?  the things we deal with!
      Furthermore, we may be doing some real estate business with an Israeli connection...I won't say more.

      Maybe in another future post I can say how we've been mistaken for other ethnic identities...in China, in Merida, and around...

      Today, it is snowing...our first snow...it is beautiful and fresh.  I do love it.
      Here are some pics of outdoors here, and then some snowflakes made by Sofi for school.
      (they were a homework assignment...to make a snowflake out of a paper coffee filter...a skill not ever learned by her mother, adopted at age 13 from India...just one of the many cultural things she missed!


      and here is a snowman Sofi made today!






      and nice snowy pics from around the farm....

      No comments: