Saturday, July 16, 2011

Casa Colibri'

Sometimes it's hard to keep the focus of a blog, I'm finding. I'm not on Isla, so lately my focus has been our farm in Wisconsin, both mothers in our lives and their many needs; our children, and now my visiting siblings.  Maybe some of those things will figure in future posts, for they for sure have been figuring big time in how I spend my time here (my 88 1/2 yr old mother is sleeping next to me as I type..._
Anyway, Steve is on Isla. We still have a house in progress...my origninal blog focus. So back to that. 
Here is our house, called Casa Colibri'   (it's smallish....like a hummingbird, and kind of hovers there.) 
It has been freshly painted (the yellow, that is...) by myself, before I left, and then continued by Manuel our sometimes caretaker.  More on Manuel and his family later.....
 
This is the back view; it shows the wall which comes to edge of Calle Tortuga, a cross-island road. 
Our son, an artist & photographer, did the drawing/painting when he visited in March. He is currently busy with wedding photographer, his main job.  He'd love to get some work on Isla!
And here is the front; It makes me kind of 'homesick' to see it; Sr. Ruinas emailed the new pics.
I'm happy to see the palm trees. It's going to be a hot week here, so it's not like it's winter and I'm desperate to be there....but, I will be....soon enough~
I miss looking at the open sea...from the upper balcony... 


Our next project, as we finally move along with our plan, is to secure the area, and we have debated over what kind of enclosure.  Sr. Ruinas likes this combination of stone/rock foundation &natural wood. Guess we would have lots of plantings growing up and over it, eventually.
A lot to think about...
Gardening is a hobby of mine, and in fact, I've been going on several garden tours lately. But semi-tropical gardening...such another challenge...

Think this wall be be behind or back of Hacienda Mundaca. I have yet to go into that place. 
A small island, and there is still much I haven't seen. 
On the other hand, I'm living on a farm in WI, and I have acres of marshland I've never set foot on. 













No comments: