Saturday, July 30, 2011

Isla in summer

While I love to be here in the winter months, & feel I'm escaping our Northern winters, I'm not usually dying to be here in summer; however, here I am again. We made the bad decision to apply for our FM3 Visas in early summer last year, and now the renewal process may force our coming every summer.  Not only that, it appears the Chicago office boggled the original application, using an outdated booklet vs. the card, and we have decided it's just going to be easier to do this the right way with professional help, and have now enlisted a local atty for that purpose. Well, that explains why we're both here, overlapping a few days, as we each get our temp. Visas, and will still need to return for our permanent FM3 Visas.   Whew...the explanation is almost as long as the process (just kidding...no way...)
     Anyway, I'm trying to get back to my long morning walks here, which I love & find easier to do here.
These are some things  I saw on today's walk--

Walking along the turtle beach, I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the crew raking and/or collecting eggs, which I think happens more late night or super early.
But I heard they did construct a line of rocks to persuade the sea turtles to lay their eggs closer to shore, saving them the trouble of going farther than necessary. 

I do at least hope to see some turtles and will scout them out later during some nights; night vision binoculars would've been a great thing to bring. darn.


But I do love the whole turtle effort they do here, collecting and incubating the eggs to buy them a little more time and raise the survival odds.
















Being from a farm, and a horse lover & rider, I loved coming upon this horse, tied along the road by the side of the cemetery outside La Gloria. I guess its days are spend inside the Hacienda Mundaca, perhaps giving rides to children. I wouldn't mind a ride myself; but today, I just give him a pet and an ear scratch; maybe tomorrow I 'll bring a treat.  






The Catholic Church in La Gloria, not far from where the horse is tied, along the cross island road.

It is somewhat new, and seems to be in a suitable spot.
I've seen a lot of people in attendance during mass.

The construction, the wall and walkway seem well done.
I really like the planters on the side, with bamboo plants.




Listen...
(if)
you are 14 years old or more, and you're lacking a sacrament, then, come with us every Saturday, at 7pm, here at Sacred Heart!

2 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Love all the photos from the south end. We didn't get beyond the supermercado and Basto's this past June. Can't wait to get back to the island in November and take our walks around Punta Sur!

krisla said...

I love the landscape at Punta Sur--reminds me of the Maine coast, where we lived near Acadia Park once.
Basto's--mmm going again soon! k