Sunday, September 4, 2011

Awash in Global Goings-on...

'Think globally...act locally... '  I like that saying, & lately that has been my world (and I like it!)
So, it seems I'm doing a lot of local things, but with a sort of global feel.

No sooner did I return from Isla (that quick 2 week trek involving FM3 Visa app, whale shark swim & truck trek to Merida) than I had to get busy on an assignment I contracted for-- to provide English tutoring to a regional/local  AFS exchange student.  Her name is Masha, & she is from Ukraine.
 (Masha is on the left in these photos, taken in Madison. 'Snow' is another AFS student from Phillipines, & we took her along on one of our many outings ('field trips') to Madison...had to balance the Statue of Liberty photo opp. with a cow, to prove we are indeed in WI.

So, I've pretty much spent the last 3 weeks since my return engaged in planning assignments, getting materials, driving to her house, taking field trips, and generally trying to think of fun and relevant things a 16 year old needs to know to be a success in US high schools.  But, as a 'retired' ESL teacher, I'm trying to keep it fun & cultural, and not texty & boring.

I am learning a lot about Ukraine culture also, and my favorite Ukranian thing so far is Borscht, made by Masha!


It is such a beautiful red color. And it tastes as good as it looks.


I gave myself some homework, and spent hours trying to duplicate her effort.
But...don't think I passed. Too bad I don't have the photo with the sour cream on top.  Masha says that is essential.

In Madison....the capitol is only inches smaller than the Wash DC capitol, so one has the feeling of being in DC...but not really... ;)

I don't have a photo of the Gay Pride Parade, but one field trip had us crossing the road where it was taking place (and a good excuse to explain this aspect of American culture), on our way to see the rather dated play 'My Fair Lady' at the UW Theatre.
good for dialect study...but, wow...talk about contrasts... !

Olbrich Gardens provided a nice place to take in an American wedding, and even better to see the Thai Pavilion, given by the Thai alumni & flown over from Thailand in pieces....the only Thai Pavilion in the US, I think...ironically, artisans came on a plane on 9/11, the exact date, to put the final finishing touches on it. And a Royal delegation came later to dedicate it from the government of Thailand to Madison & Olbrich Gardens.
It made us feel like we were in Thailand.
I have been there, 20+ years ago, after we finished a teaching & traveling in China... at the invite of a Thai friend.
Speaking of China...
That's where son Abe & wife Angela just returned from after an interview & meeting & house hunting for a likely job she will take there as doctor at a new Shanghai hospital....
so, here are some cute Chinese pj's they brought back for Sofi (our Indian--E. India, that is) granddaughter...
        Sofi still remembers, and uses, some Spanish from when she spent many weeks with us in Mexico last spring.  So, we definitely need to get her back there again for a refresher.







Here is Sofia, holding a Spanish copy of 'Chica Chica Bum Bum' which we couldn't get her to put down for the photo of the Chinese duds--she was obviously more interested in the book.


And below, is our newest little granddaughter, Frances, 51/2 months--also, now known as 'Shao Pang Ze' in Chinese, or 'Little Fatty!'  as she was called there, while she accompanied her parents on the China trip.  Being under age 2, she was the lucky recipient of a free trip.  Her 2+ year old sister, Astrid, enjoyed a stay on the farm with us--which, considering the trip, probably was her preference as well. There may well be a China trip in her future....and perhaps another in ours too...down the road, for visits.




So, that explains why I've been so busy....
I feel like I've been around the world...but, I've just been down on the farm...and babysitting...and tutoring...and coming up against different cultures along the way.  I think it's the new normal for us!


2 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Wow! You have been busy! All the grandkids are adorable! Funny how the Chinese also have an affectionate term for little fatty.

krisla said...

Yes, the 'good' kind of busy, & am thankful for that. Shao should have been 'Xiao'--that's more Chinese, but either way, yes, funny & cute.