Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Independence Day... and catching up on things...

OK.  Feel like I have my life back, after so many things happening around home, people coming and going, visiting my mom & sister after a car accident, taking care of granddaughters & farm, & tutoring. Now, I'm back 'in the saddle' and speaking of that, I really must get back on a horse soon, and more on that later :)     (I just purchased my first Groupon--for 2 lessons...stay tuned :)

Anyway, am back on Isla! How does that happen so fast?  Our lives are serendipitous...it seems we just fall into things, going from one thing to another...I guess that's how we got married, went to Morocco, decided to join the family farm & enlarge it, have kids, then return to school & take a career turn into teaching, go to China to begin our teaching careers, adopt an older daughter (from India!), and then take a turn to Mexico, somehow ending up here on Isla Mujeres...and still with farm connections.  It's a juggling act. We should have been in the circus.
Life is just sometimes unexplainable...someday, maybe it will make sense, but maybe never, and that's okay too. I've seen well planned lives go astray, so perhaps an unplanned life is just as well.
C'est la vie-      

So...now, as I wait for my final Visa, & wait to sign some other important papers, I can catch up with so many photos to post, from my earlier Aug here, & from a week ago, as we drove around Yucatan & Quintana Roo, and just, whatever!  I am grateful to just relax & chill out here.
------
 Merida was very decked out in red, white & green for their Independence Day celebration.
Every other city we passed through also had their government buildings very dressed up for the event.

Also, there were vendors selling every type of patriotic thing, from flags to earrings. Really wish I had bought one of the 10P mustaches. Restaurants were making drinks with the flag colors.

As is our style ;)  we didn't plan our trip around Ind. Day. Rather, Sr Ruinas (steve) had a dentist appt. in Merida, so lucky us...we went along with it!



Al grito de ¡Viva México!

  The  mayor & governor (both  women!) on balcony  doing the grito....'Viva Mexico!'

The cathedral is always beautiful, but was especially so. The towers in front were for the fireworks.



The government building is also so beautiful inlights; the crowd was electrified with the fireworks..

Then, the stage was taken over by a musical group.


The next day there was a parade in the streets (we were an hour late, not thinking after such a late night, they could possibly begin by 8am, but I guess they did! (must be one thing they stick to getting started on time...)

So, not sure what was in the first hour, but we saw the 2nd hour--all military groups--army, navy, many many police units (very armed), even a Navy boat, a helicopter overhead...canine unit, motorcycle unit, etc etc.  Then, there were many uniformed school kids, obviously trained in the 'parade march' they were to execute on this day.
It was kind of a relief when it was done!
A bit of a serious & somber tone for this parade, and not quite what I expected.

Sorry not to have any photos of it to share. Just wasn't in the camera mood that early in the morning....
For pictures of Independence Day on Isla Mujeres, I was able to share this from an album
by Captain Tony of Isla Mujeres.
It looks like Isla had a really fine celebration, and though I doubt I'd normally be around in Sept.,
I think it would be fine to stay and celebrate with the Isleños. 


for more photos from  Captain Tony's shared album, I have them posted on our facebook page:  www.facebook.com/RentIsla      enjoy!
   
wI p


No comments: