Saturday, April 9, 2011

Goddess of Punta Sur

New installation.... at Punta Sur, most southern point on the island...  just at the overlook...
  seemed a little overwhelming at first, and maybe too brazen, as if a bit of Cancun is seeping into the island... in fact, a couple other statues downtown, also nudes of the sea... feature similar form...

But this is just so...so....well, statuesque....  check it out...   shocked me upon first seeing it...

   It's the Goddess Ixchel...most favored goddess here in Mayan history...so, it is suitable...

as the inscription says:
   ... the principal Mayan goddess
Goddess of the rainbow, water, fertility, abundance, the moon, love and of medicine.







this statue has more color than others..

and in a way,
is more fitting and real to the island


I'm still getting used to it though...
It just caught me by surprise I guess.

see the smaller concrete head in in a square
mounted on the wall in background...

I assume they're also Mayan goddessess,
and maybe even Ixchel also...(not sure)

but they've been around awhile & I'm used
 to them...












 the name IXCHEL figures into a lot of things on the island...
   houses, (casas)    hotels    figurines    Ixchel this & Ixchel that
you kind of almost forget she is embodied as a person....
   the statue does help you remember that!


 So, these are the 'ladies' of Punta Sur...


5 comments:

krisla said...

I'll make my own comment here---
am trying to get the fotos to group better, & not allow so much 'white space.' The final post is not how the draft appeared...the fotos are spread out again... I need to work on this!

Life's a Beach! said...

That new goddess at Punta Sur is almost a little lewd, but better than the old one. Ha! I think this Ixchel is a little too realistic as opposed to the mermaid sculpture in town and that's what makes it cross the line to jolting. I love all the heads on the wall. I've been having a really hard time with Blogger lately. I get the spacing right and it immediately reverts back when I try to post. It's very frustrating! I hope it's one of those kinks they fix! Quickly!

krisla said...

yes, the old one was shocking in its old way; this one in its detail & size. also--I'm having that exact problem with Blogger...I figured I just hadn't figured it out yet, so good to know it isn't only me :)

Pamela said...

Really enjoyed your fotos. I was just there on Isla Mujeres and I forgot the name of the Goddess...thanks to Google and your blog, I was able to find it.
Thanks - Pamela, Cozumel MX

krisla said...

Glad to be able to help out Pamela, and hope you enjoyed your Isla visit. We went to Cozumel last Aug, but only a day, & I'd like to go back. -kris