Friday, April 15, 2011

yum...... Fresh LOBSTER!

OK...
I finally scored a lobster.
mmmmmm....I wish I could convey how yummy it was.

I've had lobster only a couple other times on Isla...the first time, a few years ago, not that great...think it was 'out of season' and I decided that because these were not cold water lobsters (the kind I'd previously had, and especially having been spoiled living in Maine a short time years ago, and getting them off the docks...) there was no way they could measure up.  But maybe it was an 'off' lobster.

Then, last year, I had a grilled lobster at Minino's (or was it Picus?) on the beach,
That was really fine...and 'in season'

But this was by far, the best.
And made in a local person's home-Sofi's preschool teacher, Irasema, had invited me over, and I've been tutoring her a few times a week for several weeks, in preparation for her English class, which she takes in Cancun on Saturdays...in an effort to improve her credentials.  She's had exams the last 2 wks.

The tutoring didn't used to be accompanied with food...just Coke or water, and I was happy to help her out, esp being a 'retired' ESL teacher, feeling very able to do the job.

Her 'novio' has a lot of work experience, being a chef in some Cancun hotels;  On this day, he received a cache of fresh lobsters that very morning...as a thank you from some guys he's been helping during AA meetings.

Apparently they'd gifted him these lobsters.
The culture here very much works around 'gifting' one another things, as one is able.
It does work.


I was happy to be on the receiving end of one of these lobsters...and as he said, when they're so very fresh, you just sautee them in butter...maybe a bit of salt.
(using garlic, etc.. spoils the fresh taste, and is sometimes more often done to 'cover up' the taste, esp if the lobsters are a couple days old.

He's a darn good chef; and I think Irasema & the kids think so too. I love to hear his chef stories.



He took great care to sautee it just perfectly.









After I'd polished off the lobster,
I was treated to lobster salad.

Irasema had taken more of the fresh lobster, and made a wonderful salad, using boiled cubed potatoes and carrots and a nice dressing.
It was also so fresh and tasty.
I couldn't resist.

And, she sent home a dish for my 'novio.'

I guess I learned more last night than she did.  She was so busy cooking, I mostly helped the kids with their homework.  It was a treat to be in their home, witnessing their daily/evening routine.
More pics on that later....   hammocks, bikes...play     life.
sneak peek at hammock tying, and the 'tricks' to not falling out.   my gosh;    who knew?

2 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

I'm hoping lobsters are still 'in season' when we come in June! Last year, the property manager where we stayed in July offered to get us some since his brother is a fisherman, but we never took advantage of it. I've had excellent lobster once on Isla. Some friends bought some at the coop and had them cooked in a restaurant. It was fantastic!

krisla said...

I don't think they really are in season then (as now) but somehow, they get caught anyway...and need to be eaten, I guess :) so, maybe it's more of a 'black market' thing then. but, whatever...good luck
I definitely am yearning for more.
I would take advantage of any offer...good luck... -kris