Monday, December 12, 2011

Goin' to the chapel....


...and we're..... gonna see Ma--a---a---ry
cannot get that song out of my head now, & wish I'd been humming it last night on the ambling trek 
from the downtown church to Our Lady Of Guadalupe Chapel.... (1  1/2 hr. walk)
instead there was chanting & cheers....'dame un eme...   dame una ah... etc.etc....and slow movement.
(I positioned myself in the procession near the Navy wall, which is an interminable length of 
concrete &  pipe......providing good support!)

here's me in my walking attire...I chose the black t-shirt...matches my jogging pants. 
However, no jogging...only walking. After I saw the 'antorchistas' jogging along at quite a pace (seemed to be groups of MS and HS students), I knew that wasn't for me, or my knees...
Saw these other 'antorchistas' (torch bearers...for Mary V de G, on bikes, & wished for a bike...
I later learned they'd come all the way from Campeche, & were very celebrated upon arrival here...

Can you see the statue of Maria, Virgen de Guadalupe, positioned in the stroller? (before staring out on the long procession to the chapel....)                                                             there were hundreds of statues of her, images & figures adorned with flowers on the procession...
I wish I had better pictures of the actual procession.  It began after 8:30, and didn't arrive at the chapel until 10pm or later. 
Manuel did answer, 'muy poco' when I'd asked him how many foreigners participate...
More likely, none (except yo misma), from my vantage point last night.. 
It was a happy all-night scene in the street below the chapel, as many could not fit into the seating or standing-room only space around the chapel... 
Anyway, everyone sang 'Las Mañanitas' at the very end, close to midnight...
so, I felt I got my birthday song as well, and continued on my personal trek home. 
Haven't decided about next year...but it will be 12/12/2012!!   Anyone care to join me?




No comments: