Sunday, December 11, 2011

Looping the island...on El Dia de Guadalupe

Arriving last year just in time to witness the island run/walk/jog last year in honor of the Virgen of Guadalupe was memorable. So much so, and especially since it falls on my own birthday, I wanted to partake in it this year myself, and decided to combine this event with paying the taxes, another annual December event.

So, in preparation, I looped the island today on my golf cart....(if only it were that easy, on foot).
I stopped at the chapel devoted to Our Lady, the Virgen of Guadalupe , just up from Mango Cafe.
It was peaceful (except for workers, setting up for the impending huge event) & I had some quiet time.



I can't imagine a chapel in a more beautiful place. Looking past the altar, one is looking right out to sea.
I have been to Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine in Mexico City. It's impressive, but I like this better.



Even from the pews at the rear of the chapel, one has a view.    The pasta tiles are lovely.
It is all simple, serene and stunning.














Downtown, there were T-shirts, kids' clothes and all things for the V of G feast day tonight & tomorrow. 

I bought some cute embroidered skirts, some with poinsettia patterns, to take home for the little girls.
Got a T-shirt for my mom (always her request) and one for myself.
Everyone seemed in a good mood.

I guess little boys can dress as Juan Diego.

My great nephew John does share my birthday, so I really do need to get something for him... 
So, all that is left is to do the actual run, which for me, will be more of a walk. Manuel & his wife stopped by to ask me to join them, & I believe I'll do that. Nice to be part of things & I was very gratified to be asked to join them.  Hope I can find them in the crowd tonight!  I just have to decide which T-shirt to wear.  (and maybe take some aspirin....)      Wish me luck!! 

1 comment:

Life's a Beach! said...

Kris, we saw the walkers/runners last night! Great photos!