Thursday, March 22, 2012

Differences...

I should be posting more....Feeling conflicted.
I really am a very private person...Señor S & myself, both. 
So, I sometimes wonder why I'm putting anything out there... I respect others' privacy also.

This past week, had the  experience of visiting 'Guadalupana' (aka 'the Invasion' where families have settled in makeshift homes, living in below standard conditions), kind of like 'homesteaders' in hopes of being granted a permanent space there.   Later, in the same day, I visited a new upscale restaurant, 'Limon' in the Colonias here.
What can I say?  Within several hours and only a few streets apart, I was in two different worlds,  and it's hard to come to terms with that. That's life here. 

A family who are now friends invited me to Guadalupana. I took no photos, & would not post if I had.
I was very touched to be invited, and they served me homemade shrimp ceviche. 
At Limon for dinner, I had good food also, but not better than my ceviche for lunch at Guadalupana.

I'll learn how to make that shrimp ceviche next weekend, as we get together for a 're-do' of that recipe, except in my kitchen. I hope it's something I can learn to recreate on my own.
And I hope our friendship builds and I can do more to help those who need it most on this island. 

I'm trying to find connections in my mind, and maybe it's food.   Good food and good people.
There is a lot of good food and good people here.


 

2 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Kris, I have similar feelings about blogging. I've had a few puzzling moments on Isla where strangers have said hi and I couldn't figure out how in the world they'd know me. Then they mention the blog and it suddenly dawns on me that my life is on a page in cyber land. To me, it's a diary and I forget anyone reads it other than the few who comment. The place where we stayed in November/December in the colonias was a comedy of frustrations, but it felt sinful to complain when we were living in the lap of luxury compared to some of the neighbors.

krisla said...

Hi Beck,
Thanks for that input...I'm really struggling sometimes, with what I want to post, & what I prefer to keep private, including others' private lives. Being here is a juggling act in so many ways, and yes, one is always grateful for so much compared to others with so little.
I guess diaries & journals do have more meaning if they are shared...that's a good thought! k