Friday, March 30, 2012

Making Shrimp Ceviche

A couple weeks ago, in Guadalupano, I was treated to fresh, homemade shrimp ceviche.
It was so good, I enlisted my friends to make it for my visitors, and they were happy to do so this past Sunday.  It was very special that we were all able to come together for this at the Sailfish condo, where they came to use the kitchen.

We, as teachers, were happy to be in the role of students that day.  I captured the moments, and made careful notes, and I do believe I could actually recreate this recipe.
It is as good as any shrimp ceviche I have had anywhere.
(And I only recently had it at Casa Ixchel, walking there from town. This ceviche is equally as good as theirs, and also as good as the shrimp ceviche I had yesterday at Capitan Dulche'  --  all good!
------------------
We made 2 batches;  1 for us, & one for them to take home.
First, begin with a kilo of shrimp, 4 fresh tomatoes,2 onions and 1 bunch cilantro & 4 limes.
Peel the shrimp.
Put into boiling water, and blanch for 1 minute.
Drain.
Squeeze out excess water.
Cut each shrimp into thirds (or leave whole, depending how you like it.
I like it in smaller pieces.

The tomatoes and onions--cut and dice; squeeze juice from the 4 limes (limons);  Mix all together;
Let marinate a bit in the lime juice;     add salt and pepper to taste.     Quite an easy process, really.


Here, the shrimp is parboiled, water squeezed out & each shrimp is cut into thirds.   It looks, and is, so fresh.
















M and L, the parents,'chefs' and my sometimes helpers/empleados..., are doing their magic in the kitchen.  Cutting, Dicing... Mixing   In addition to food prep,   I learn so much from them.
Luckily, we make a good 'team' and help one another, with one thing and another.





The kids, Jenifer-Maria-Ajani-
could they be any more patient?
any more polite & kind?
What nice kids.
They got some Cheetos.
And, they'll have their ceviche later.
But, they deserve, and hopefully will be able to have, much more and I hope to see to that.



Ready to sample....yum, yum.... Shrimp Ceviche.      Simple, tasty, refreshing & delightful.
I intend to try this myself, and now that I've seen it done, it seems more doable.
My friends, visiting, were equally impressed.

I have more photos of the prep. process, cutting, dicing, etc.
However, the fotos aren't scaled, flipped and ready to add to blog.

And now, I'm currently dealing with a non-working golf cart--my only transportation, which I count on.  So,  I need to trouble-shoot.  I'm getting tired of that.  
Sometimes, immediate problems of a daily nature, just take over.
I'd love to work more on getting things picture perfect.....
....not gonna happen.     Sometimes, you just need to move on.
That's what I've decided.  This blog is what I can do now & then.
I can highlight a thing or two.  It cannot possibly recount the daily travails of my life and lives of others which intersect mine.   Since making this shrimp ceviche a week ago, a hundred things have happened--expected and not.   I could not possibly, nor would even want to, recount them here.  
Anyway, the shrimp ceviche is a good memory, among others,  and it will trump the golf cart memories in the long run.  Thank heavens I do have people I can call on.
Overall, it's really been a great week--wonderful friends, visiting and local.
And all around the island, we've enjoyed some really good food together... Good times, good memories.


No comments: