Friday, March 2, 2012

Morocco, Hillary and me

 Well, that last post was from Barcelona...and can't believe I never got a chance to do any other posting
We were back in Barcelona this morning, after a night on the bullet train; then from Barcelona on to Newark & Chicago...right now we're recovering in a hotel room after that series of bus,train, plane rides.
And here's a post I had almost ready since Tues or Wed?  Will just jump to Morocco, & fill in all week.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So...Hillary was in Morocco. too...
I've actually been a bit out of touch with the news...so, it was a surprise when our taxi driver in Tangier said that Hillary was meeting with King Mohammed V1 in Rabat the same day we arrived...
  (as we drove down Mohammed V1 Hwy...in Tangier, which was known as Mohammed V, when we were last here, 40 years ago...
things change....yet, so many similarities....
Steve reminded me that 40+ years ago, when he came to meet me at the airport, there was also a US Sec of State visiting....Rodgers... (which he recalled, because he was pulled aside for questioning as he lingered at the airport, waiting for me... I guess without his Navy uniform, he looked like a one of the 'usual suspects.'          We're having a lot of strange coincidences on this trip.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We obviously had quite different visits...Hillary, & we...
She, at the royal palace (sans King...oops...he was on a conference visit to Qatar, I guess....)
We--on what might be called a pilgrimage, to our first home, & life together in Kenitra, not far from Rabat...    I didn't think culture shock would hit me twice in the same country, but it did...
It's a country where being a shepherd seems to still be a career choice...
We saw many adults and/or kids out tending their flocks in fields as we drove along the highway..


Except for missing the King, doubt if Hillary had many surprises.
We, on the other hand, had many.... like, not being able to even find our previous lodgings in a chaotic, crowded city. But worse, becoming stranded on a remote highway, after running out of gas due to several gas station closures.  Regretting that I never learned Arabic...and even worse, that I hadn't brushed up on French before coming...   but, as is our style, we did this on the fly...
Anyway... we survived (tho, I clearly remember saying...'we're gonna die!' out on a countryside road' & even Monsieur S. said he hadn't seen me that worried in a while...
My basic French allowed me to discern 5 vs. 15 km (cinq vs. quinze) of distance to the nearest gas station...and in the end, a nice young Moroccan man came to our aide, accompanying me to station to get help, gas & return to our stranded car. We knew we'd be okay.   it's just that crisis moment!
At least we didn't have to apply for one of those shepherding jobs...and good thing, as without Arabic skills, we wouldn't even qualify.





Here's a photo I found of the gas station which saved us...Afriquia...

let's just say it involved a long walk, a 5 litre gas can,  several Moroccan guys, and an empty water bottle found on side of road to serve as a funnel...

one of those memorable moments...












And here is a gendarme. 
I just love that French word, gendarme.
And I love how the gendarmes always look so put together...
They're especially handsome when they have a mustache, and then they really look like they're out of those 40s movies.   I did want to get to Rick's cafe in Casablanca (made recently, as the movie backdrop)...would love to see that...
(esp as my blog is somewhat based on that title!)





Kenitra is the town where we lived, not far from Rabat.  We did actually make it there. Though, after so many years, we just could not find familiar things. This train station was familiar though.
We once road on the Marrakech Express, and I guess we started from here, before we connected to that line further south.
  
We couldn't find our old apt, and not surprising as the city seemed totally changed, much bigger, more people, more buildings...
It was overwhelming to see the change.


These lovebirds were unique.
Think they may be ibis.
Very eye catching up there...








 So, the mint tea.
That is very Moroccan.
We did that. Loved it.
Even bought ourselves a pot & intend on having it more often.
It's just green tea, hot water, and a pot stuffed with fresh mint leaves.   Yum.
We found a little cafe in Kenitra.
and celebrated with mint tea.

Am sure Hillary had mint tea also.
Even if she was at the Royal Palace, ours was more special!








































5 comments:

Stock Photos said...

This is nice blog and so beautiful photos , I like your photography.Nice work keep it.....
stockfoto

Life's a Beach! said...

Oh my gosh! What a fantastic trip! Thanks for taking us along!

krisla said...

Thanks...I want to get more posted, but lost internet as I'm between places again...ugh! life on the move!
-k

Photography Melbourne said...

WOW ! this is nice blog and great reading article .Great photos , thanks for sharing this blog.

krisla said...

Hi Photography Melbourne,
Thanks for your kind comments.
You motivate me! Sometimes I do not have a clear focus, and just put anything out there, often 'stream of consciousness' as per what's been happening, & a recount of things.
Your comment motivates me to do more along the 'travel' line and theme.
Thanks again. -kris