Thursday, March 29, 2012

Sailfish Condos, Isla

Here is the building on Isla, known as Sailfish.  Our original 'home' away from home.  We already have a lot of history here...good, bad and ugly.  This building is always needing some work, and as you can see, it has just received a new paint job...gracias to Gregory, who lives here.
Hopefully, he'll bring it back around to some of its former glory.    The views of the bay are to die for.
I can't even get a photo to show the beauty of the water, especially from 4 flrs up (2nd from left, top floor
It is a walk up, and I can guarantee strong calf muscles after a short while here!  Some good things--the wash dries super fast up on the windy rooftop (with views to both sides) & it feels super safe up here..

 Another good thing is, I can walk down the path & easily go snorkeling out there anytime.
Have lots of snorkel gear here.  Being a swimmer & former lifeguard/swimming teacher, I prob swim here as much as anyone. At least once a day...The good thing is, I swim more when I'm on this side!

The main bedroom has a great view of the bay during the day, and the lights of Cancun at night. 
The second bedroom...super breezy, and a view to the other side of the island...
so, 2 bedrooms, plus a futon in the living room.  My son & his wife & kids were just here, and myself, and all 5 of us fit in pretty nicely.  They really love it here (their 3rd time, with kids!) lots of kid stuff too.
I'll have to add photos of the living room space later, but you can see the futon, leading out to balcony.
The kitchen/dining/living room/balcony just all flow together into one space, so you can see the sea...


The kitchen is stocked and serviceable  (let's see--we just made some great ceviche here, next post!)
The cupboards, etc. could use updating, and the bathrooms (2) as well....maybe someday...we'll see...

Meanwhile, it's really very comfortable,
fairly spacious, as places go around here,
killer views, and easy living!















The door is open...come on over.  ha ha--   
I've been doing some painting here, but not working too hard... there is always work here....
 and now, it's time for a swim!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Krisla--this is amazing: we are a retired couple who has just rented a sailfish condo for next winter--then I started reading your blog to get into the mood for Isla--and then it dawned on me: we have rented YOUR condo!!! It feels as if I know you already--and thanks for the wonderful blog!
I am a retired music and German teacher and my husband still teaches part time. We are sick of Minnesota winters, have been to Isla several times and can't wait to stay there longer.
I love the pictures of your condo and and how you decorated it and have not told my husband any details--beyond "I've found something" to make it a surprise for him when we arrive.
We may not meet this winter but I certainly hope we will meet some day--maybe even in the Midwest. My husband is from Michigan, I am from Germany, and we have lived in Minnesota for more than 40 years.
Best of luck to you--wherever you may be.
Margrit

krisla said...

Hi Margrit,
Wow...what a coincidence you will be renting here; I loved reading your comments and learning about you; it would be wonderful to meet next year--I look forward to it; we have another place on the island, though we stayed here last winter & loved it; the views are astounding. How fun to learn about you...thanks again..you motivate me to return to writing the blog...thanks much -kris

Anonymous said...

thanks, Krisla--great to hear from you. In addition to our love of travel and Isla we have another thing in common: relatives from China.
My son-in-law is from Shanghai--we have visited there. He and my daughter are violinists in the Kansas City Symphony and have 2 children. i am currently babysitting there.
Greetings from the Midwest!
Margrit

Anonymous said...

Hi, Krisla--we have now been staying in your beautiful condo for more than 2 weeks and are very happy here. Hope to come back next year!
We often walk by Casa Colibri on the way to Punta Sur. Should we say hi one of these days--if you are there?
Margrit

krisla said...

Hi...Margrit?
Glad to hear you are enjoying it there. I'm so pleased. I really do like that place, and esp the bird's eye view, and the feeling of safety and privacy. Wish the rooftop area had a palapa or terrace on top, as that would be esp nice. I was there for almost 10 wks, early Sept til mid-November, awaiting a visa appliation. long story....
Anyway, I am not there right now. Casa Colibri' is rented til end of Feb....I may come at that time... (My husband is staying at the 'unfinished' house next door there). Meanwhile, I am home, as my son's family, who had been in China, have returned home, and celebrated the birth of a new baby boy, just 2 days ago. So right now, I'm able to be somewhat helpful here.

Hope I do get to meet up with you eventually, and so happy you are enjoying it there. good to hear from you.
Sorry, I've neglected my blog for so long...have just had a lot of personal issues to deal with.
Should try and get back to it though....-take care. -Kris

Unknown said...

Hi, Kris,
congratulations on your new grandson! I also would try to help--it's not only useful but so much fun. My youngest grandson is 18 months old, and not seeing him for three months is the hardest part of spending the winter in your beautiful condo. Everything else is perfect--and we would love to come here every winter for as long as we can climb the stairs.
I am glad we may have a chance to meet when you may get here in March. Meanwhile, we have had the pleasure of meeting your husband, Steve, who was showing the condo to possible buyers. That got us thinking, of course, about how to plan for next winter. Maybe all for of us could get together some time in March to discuss it?
My line of thinking goes somewhat like this: we could pay you 50% of the rent for Jan/Feb 2015 before we leave here with the understanding that if you sell the unit --either before or after we arrive next year--we could apply the pre-paid rent to the upper unit of Colibri and move there---assuming the new owner of the Sailfish unit would not want us to continue living there.
Please let us know what you think--and, again, it would be great to get together and discuss this and other wonderful adventures...
All the best,
Margrit